Big Update

24 Oct

Remember that pain in my side I was complaining about? Early Thursday morning (about 3am) I woke up SCREAMING in pain. It was one of the worst pains I have ever felt and Hubby took me straight to the ER (my mom had not yet left for her parent’s house, so she stayed with the girls). They kept me overnight and very doped up on drugs, but unfortunately, the only tests they could run on a pregnant woman were an ultrasound and labs.

All that they were able to find was a shadow and some calcification on my left kidney – they think I have kidney stones.

They briefly considered taking Nolan via c section on Thursday night, but decided instead to send me home and to my appointment with my regular OB on Friday.

My mom left for her parent’s house, Hubby ended up having to take the day off work to take me to the appointment because I am on Norco and cannot drive, and his sister (BLESS HER HEART) took the day off work to be with the girls for us.

When we got to the appointment my OB took one look at me and sent us straight back over to the hospital. She said that she wasn’t 100% convinced that it was  kidney stones and she wanted them to check me again for other things. SO, off we went. This time they kept me overnight and ran more labs, once the labs came back with a higher than normal gall bladder enzyme count, but when they ran them again they were normal. After many, many, MANY consults they have decided that it is most likely kidney stones after all.

They have been pumping me full of fluids which for some reason I am having a hard time peeing out (for being on an IV I was NOT going to the bathroom much) and my legs are SO swollen that I can hardly move them.

Sexy.

The problem is that they cannot do any further testing or treatment until after I deliver Nolan.

Today they gave us our options: Either they could take Nolan right then via c section, or I could go home on pain meds and wait until I either go into labor on my own or I can’t take the pain anymore and I come back for a c section. We talked about an induction, but even though I have lots of contractions I am STILL only 1 cm and 60% effaced so I’m not a good candidate and they don’t recommend it with a VBAC.

I was thisclose to signing the papers today and going for the section, but Hubby and I surprised ourselves by taking the other choice.

As I mentioned before, the dates I calculated are slightly behind the dates that my doctors came up with and I think that Nolan will only be 37 weeks tomorrow (rather than 37.5 as they think). So, there is an increased chance of him having breathing difficulties and/or jaundice – neither would be anything too serious, but they could mean NICU time and we all know I’ve done my fair share of NICU time already. I really thought that he would be beyond fine at this point, but they scared the crap out of me at the hospital with all of the NICU talk…Plus, I am really hoping to deliver vaginally. I want to breast feed, I want to hold my baby as soon as he is born, I want the best possible start for ALL of us.

So, I’m home on more Norco. One of my best friends just lost her job on Wednesday – which totally sucks for her but works out great for us because now we have someone we can hire for the girls while I lay in bed and be miserable (a big part of what allowed us to make this decision).

After Thursday night the pain has returned to just feeling extremely sore rather than a stabbing pain and me in complete agony (of course, this is also with the aid of some very heavy narcotics). So its wait and see at this point.

Long story short: I’m home now. On bedrest. My goal is to make it at least another week to give Nolan a bit more time and my body a chance to get a bit more “ripe”. Hopefully I will go into labor on my own very soon, or at least dilate more so that I can be induced. Or maybe I’ll really luck out and I’ll pass the stone (or WHATEVER is going on will resolve itself).

That’s all for now. Wish me luck.

PS I hope this is somewhat coherent, I did mention the drugs…yes?

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Big Update”

  1. Steffy October 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm #

    Even though I have only recently started reading your blog I wanted to tell you that I am keeping you and your family in my prayers. You are such a brave woman! You can do it!

  2. Michell October 24, 2009 at 7:19 pm #

    Hope you’re feeling better soon and that Nolan arrives safely as planned.

  3. MFA Mama October 25, 2009 at 7:11 am #

    That totally sucks. I hope whatever it is GOES AWAY on its own and Nolan arrives safely.

  4. Chelle October 25, 2009 at 1:18 pm #

    Oh my goodness sweetie! I am so proud that you are being brave and waiting things out for Nolan’s sake. I hope that it pays off and that you end up going with the birth plan you have chosen. I hope the pain meds help and things subside on their own.

    *big hugs!*

  5. Io October 25, 2009 at 6:06 pm #

    Holy poop dude – things just can’t go perfectly for you, can they? I’m glad Nolan is sticking in there though – I hope the kidney stone passes so you feel better before the kid gets there. Sending my love.

  6. Alex October 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm #

    Wishing you all the best…

  7. Tammy October 26, 2009 at 11:53 am #

    Dang! It seems that you can never win. 😦 I’m so sorry. I’m definitely thinking of you sweetie!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: