31.5 Weeks

16 Sep


I’ve noticed a lot of you post your stats. Should I post mine? Let’s try it out:


Weight: + 23 (eeeeeek!)

BP: 104/ 74

Fetal HB: +

Fundal Height: ?

Awhile back my OB stopped telling me what I was measuring. I didn’t think anything of it, but I did check at home and thought it seemed on the small side ( I measured 28 at 30 weeks, etc). I figured I was doing it wrong. Guess not.

I mentioned to her that the baby seemed like it was going to be big based on my ultrasound results. She looked shocked when I said that and frowned. Apparently, he’s measuring on the small side! She said he’s still within the normal range, but that he for sure wasn’t going to be a “big” baby. Woooohooo!

About the cord: She checked the ultrasound report and said that it was not reported on either way. She said the same thing that the tech had said, which is that it’s difficult to tell if it’s really around the neck or just draped across. She said to be vigilant about doing kick counts 2x per day and that if he didn’t move 10x in an hour to come in. She also said that I was fine to still try for a VBAC, but to just know that if he has decels that he will be taken via emergency C-section. (So to answer a question several of you asked awhile back, yes. I will be having an epi just in case I have to have a section. I would love to try a natural birth, but not in a hospital setting. Maybe if we ever decide to go for #4.)

She said that her greatest concern was another placental abruption. If Nolan does not turn out to have Down’s syndrome, the only other two possible reasons for his quad screen to have come out so high are 1) if my dates were wrong (they are not), or 2) if there is an issue with the placenta. The second is actually likely, because Evelynn’s placenta was abrupting (which is why the twins came early), and I had a subchorionic hemorrhage with this one early one.

The worry never ends, does it? It’s almost comical.

[Deep breath]

The Amnio.

I am doing it next Tuesday.

I know that is a really unpopular decision…but I have agonized over this and I feel that this is what needs to happen. I will tell you that if I were not IN my shoes at this moment that I would not support this decision either. I really wish I had never had the quad screen.

The reason I am doing it is this: (and I know many of you will disagree, and that’s fine.) I hate, HATE, the idea of pushing out my son (or having him lifted out of my belly) and having my first thought be “Does he have Down’s Syndrome? Quick! Look at his eyes, his hands, his feet…are there signs? How soon can we fine out?! Etc”. Not my ideal birth experience, and that’s exactly how it would be. I will love him the same either way, and THAT is what I want to be focused on on his birth day. I want to celebrate my son’s life, not be frantically wondering what sort of life it’s going to be.

Then there is the fact that it still has to be diagnosed with a blood test after his birth if we do not do the amnio. Physical features alone do not mean Down’s Syndrome, and an ABSENCE of soft markers does not mean that he does NOT have it. Either way, this kid’s DNA has to be tested. Not to mention, I like the idea of the doctors being ready for him possibly having special needs if that’s how it ends up.

So, I’m terrified about my decision, but either way it’s made and I’m so relieved that we are going to know one way or the other soon.

I want my family and myself prepared. I want to research what I need to. Or I want to be able to not worry about it anymore.

And if we ever do go for number 4, there will be NO quad screen for this mamma.

* No Swimmers had her baby!!!!!! He is precious and perfect and I am beyond excited for them. Go on over and show Blake some love!!

** Apparently I have baby-brain-rot worse than I thought. In my last post I wrote that I am 6 months pregnant. I am 7+ months! Um, duh?

*** Actually there is a third possibility for the funky quad screen results; the genetic counselor mentioned something about an over-active liver? (??)


20 Responses to “31.5 Weeks”

  1. MFA Mama September 16, 2009 at 2:32 pm #

    1. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: whatever you do about the amnio is right for you.

    2. If the amnio reveals that he DOES have Down’s, maybe you can at least worry a little less about the placenta?

    3. The amnio is probably a kinder way of doing the genetic testing; they WOULD insist on a venous stick if they were testing him directly and if he’s born anywhere close to term he’ll only need heel pricks unless you’re doing something more complex than PKU, bilirubin, BG, etc.

    4. I wondered about the “six months” thing but figured I was just losing my mind, LOL!

    5. I personally think you’re doing the right thing with the epi. The risk of general anesthesia to a potentially already-compromised (due to Down’s and/or simply the stress that would lead to an emergent section for the delivery of ANY neonate) is far greater than the (truly minimal) risk of some drugs from an epidural affecting him.

  2. annacyclopedia September 16, 2009 at 2:51 pm #

    It sounds like you are doing the right thing for you, which is the most important thing. But I also think I’d do the same if I was in your shoes. If that makes even a tiny bit of difference to you!

    Hoping for smooth sailing and good news from here on out.

  3. seussgirl September 16, 2009 at 5:18 pm #

    It sounds like you have very good reasoning for your decision. And it is YOUR decision, so don’t let anybody tell you you’re making the wrong one. I especially like your reasoning on being able to celebrate his birth, because birth really is a miracle, isn’t it?
    Wishing you peace through this!

  4. S September 16, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

    I think you are doing the best thing for you. Just for the record, it was the best thing for me too! I always thoughts people that did amnios were a little crazy until it was tossed onto my plate. I had those same feelings, I wanted and needed to know if I was carrying a “healthy” baby. For my head and my heart and most importantly for my unborn child. If she was coming with Trisomy 18, I needed to know and so did the doctors.

    I was scared. I had finally been able to stay pregnant after 3 losses. I didn’t want my decision to have the amnio to negatively impact the pregnancy. I was only 20 weeks so the risks were a little higher.

    It was not what I expected. My anticipation was much more than the actual procedure.

    Hang in there. Are they offering you the FSH? (could be the wrong letters). They allowed me to have a quick turn around on the sex, and Trisomy 21, 18, and 13. It took about 3 days to come back and the full panel was around 10.

    Prayers for an all clear and an easy delivery…..I say go for the epi…they are great!

  5. Michell September 16, 2009 at 6:23 pm #

    I totally understand your need for the amnio and it is the right decision for you. Others may not make the same decision (although I’m pretty sure I would) but everyone makes the right decision for themselves. The decision they can live with. While I’m not hoping you have placental issues I will say that I hope the test comes back as the baby being fine. Thinking of you and hope all goes well.
    Oh and I think it’s a FISH that S about was talking about.

  6. Susan September 17, 2009 at 4:29 am #

    I totally agree with your decision, it makes so much sense…Hope all is well with the girls

  7. Michelle September 17, 2009 at 6:18 am #

    I hope what the doctor said about the cord brought you some relief and helped put your mind at ease there.

    As for the amnio, that is no one’s decision but yours. The baby is viable now, so at least if it does cause him to come early you know he can make it. I don’t blame you for wanting to know what you could be in for. I hope that the news comes back great and that you can put your mind at ease with that concern as well.

    *Big hugs!*

  8. Sweet Georgia September 17, 2009 at 6:20 am #

    Actually, if I were in your shoes I’d probably be doing exactly the same thing. Hope all goes well!

  9. Lauren September 17, 2009 at 7:06 am #

    Hi, just wanted to say that it’s YOUR decision, and listening to your reasoning, I’m totally with you. If I’d done the quad screen and gotten those results, I feel pretty sure I’d feel the need to do the amnio too. So, don’t beat yourself up about this. As a mom, you do what you need to do. Sometimes, it’s just whatever works, you know? Whatever keeps you sane.
    I wondered about your comment of being 6 months pregnant. I could have sworn we were closer together when you wrote that. I’ll be 32 weeks tomorrow.

  10. leahboral September 17, 2009 at 7:09 am #

    Oh LaLa! I am really so proud of you. You are doing what is best for you and your baby. I completely understand everything you are saying and I agree that it’s best to know if Nolan will need any type of special care when he is born. I know EXACTLY what you mean about being terrified at that first meeting. I was the same way. My first question was “Is she ok? Does she have DS?” I think it’s wonderful that you will know for certain. I know you are scared to have the amnio and scared not to have it all at the same time. I am sorry that you are having to deal with all of this. But please don’t apologize for doing what is best for you and your baby. We all know that you will love him no matter what…without question. I’ll be praying for you and your sanity and for your family! Good luck!

  11. Rick September 17, 2009 at 8:22 am #

    I happened upon your site doing a Google search for ultrasound. I wanted to make a comment regarding your choice to have an amnio. I am very sorry if people have been making you feel guilty or that it was a bad idea. Dear friends of mine have a Down’s Syndrome girl. She is the apple of her daddy’s eye, her mommy’s little girl and precious to all of us who know her. When they found they were expecting again, they had an amnio. These are strong people of even stronger faith, so I asked them about their decision. Their reply was very enlightening. They had not even considered terminating the preganancy. They simply wanted to be emotionally and financially prepared in the event that their second baby was also Down’s. He was not. The best thing was…it didn’t really matter.

    Whatever you do during your pregnancy (amnio, termination, adoption, etc.), it is a decision you and the father (or you if the father is absent) make, and it is your business ONLY!

    Good Luck!!!


  12. Ms. J September 17, 2009 at 9:37 am #

    I actually am astounded you waited this long for the amnio (just thinking of my own impatience and NEED to know).

    I completely and utterly support your decision to have the amnio! NOBODY should give you any sh*t for that!

    I think it is very cool that you can recognize that Nolan’s entrance to the world should be a celebration, regardless, and not about “Well, does he have it or not?!” sort of thing. And I agree that if the amnio comes back positive for Down’s, then you can have specialists available for delivery in case he needs a little bit extra help :o)

    You go, Mama Bear!

  13. sara September 17, 2009 at 12:14 pm #

    Thanks for checking in with me sweetie! I think it sounds like you’re doing what’s best for you and your family and that is awesome in my book! Can’t believe you’re so far along already and I’m praying for you each step of the way! ((hugs))

  14. Aunt Becky September 17, 2009 at 1:06 pm #

    I had an amnio with Mimi and it was totally worth it. Absolutely Providence. I don’t see any reason not to do so. Why would people be mean about that? Wait, I don’t want to know.


  15. bustedbabymaker September 17, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

    Best of luck with the amnio and no judgment at all…no one can judge you that isn’t in your exact position (and that would never really happen).

    As far as the actual procedure, it was a piece of cake when we had both of ours (for lung maturity, not genetic testing, but I think the actual procedure is identical). Best of luck!

  16. Alicia September 18, 2009 at 9:58 am #

    Good for you. But you should never have to explain yourself– especially on YOUR blog.
    I wish you the very best of luck!

  17. Ashley September 21, 2009 at 4:28 am #

    Hey, I have been following your blog for quite a long time now, I can’t figure out how to email you, but I was wondering if I could have the password to see your pictures? I have a 9 month old little girl, Addie. I completely admire you for everything you are doing!

  18. Observer September 21, 2009 at 5:23 am #

    Same question as Ashley- I’m an avid reader of your blog (don’t really post- hence my tag- Observer), but would like the password to see all posts.

    Good luck with your upcoming arrival!

  19. Lissa September 21, 2009 at 8:07 am #

    Another one here who reads along. I know I don’t post much but I read each post. I’d love the password so that I can see the pictures. I just found out that my twins are both girls as well.

  20. Tara September 22, 2009 at 4:00 pm #

    Thank you for stopping by my blog. I, for one, think the amnio now is a great idea. I would have done this if I had known a later amnio was a choice (not sure why I didn’t figure it out…I’ve known women to get them to determine lung maturity). I know you are ok with the diagnosis, but be prepared that it may hit you hard when it is “for sure” (if he has it, of course:). Blessings to you! May you have a healthy, happy baby that fits well into your family!

    Btw, I’ve never had a spacing as close as yours, but I have had 3yrs, 4yrs, 18mos, 21mos, and 19mos. I must say that I like the closer spacing much better for so many reasons. It’s going to be fine!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: